the light in the stars
So yeah, remember how I mentioned earlier that I was going to put up my old (and possibly new? :O) fanfiction and other stuff I've done over the years? Well, this would be the first out of many, I guess. At least some. :D
This is titled "The Light in the Stars." Its the first fanfic I ever wrote, so it forever has a place in my memory.
The Light in the Stars
a oneshot by oskies
I walked past her every night. What her name was, I, Jung Yunho, will never know. To tell the truth, I was afraid. She looked weird. She looked dirty. She looked beaten down and ragged. She looked like one of those people your parents tell you to stay away from. Can you blame me?
But, she changed me.
That night was different. I was walking home, as usual, and I looked at her. She seemed different that night. And she was. That night, she was bleeding. It seemed like I was the only person that noticed. Everyone else walked past the empty shell, eyes averted.
“Are you okay?” I asked, taking out my handkerchief and handing it to her. “Why are you bleeding?”
She didn’t look at me. She didn’t take my handkerchief. Instead, she said, “Isn’t it beautiful?”
I was shocked. I looked around, trying to see what she did. She poked me in the ribs with her bony index finger and then pointed to the sky.
“What?” I asked, looking up. “The stars?”
She nodded, then said, “Tonight’s one of the brightest nights ever.”
“What’s so special about a bunch of lights in the sky?”
She was silent. After a moment, she quietly said, “To see something so…so pure, so uncorrupted…it makes me want to live.”
I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say. How do you respond to that kind of comment?
In a barely audible whisper, she added, “One day, I’m going to fly and touch the stars.”
And then I noticed it…the light in her eyes.
I sat with her for a while, neither of us talking, both looking at the dark night sky. The short time with her made me think. Her words stuck in my mind through school the next day. Walking home, I wanted to talk to her again. But she wasn’t there.
I went home confused. And then I knew why she wasn’t there.
“Earlier today,” the news anchor reported, “the body of an eighteen year old girl was found in an alley. The murderer is suspected to be her father, who has a record of violence and abuse…”
I didn’t want to listen anymore. I stared at the TV screen where her picture was shown. She was nothing like how I saw her on the street. She was happy and full of life in the picture. When I met her, when I saw her, she seemed…dead. But it was her. There was the same look in her eyes…the same light.
I walked into my room and dumped my backpack on the floor, dragging my feet, making my way towards my bed.
I tossed and turned, but I couldn’t sleep. I gave up and got up. The house was silent. The clock said it was almost 1am.
I walked outside, barefoot, and looked at the stars. They were brighter than the night before. There was a different kind of shine. There was…life.
She really did change me. I look at life…differently now. I cherish it. No, I didn’t love her. No, I wasn’t her friend. We were both strangers. But that brief time with her…it's something I was lucky to have.
This is titled "The Light in the Stars." Its the first fanfic I ever wrote, so it forever has a place in my memory.
The Light in the Stars
a oneshot by oskies
I walked past her every night. What her name was, I, Jung Yunho, will never know. To tell the truth, I was afraid. She looked weird. She looked dirty. She looked beaten down and ragged. She looked like one of those people your parents tell you to stay away from. Can you blame me?
But, she changed me.
That night was different. I was walking home, as usual, and I looked at her. She seemed different that night. And she was. That night, she was bleeding. It seemed like I was the only person that noticed. Everyone else walked past the empty shell, eyes averted.
“Are you okay?” I asked, taking out my handkerchief and handing it to her. “Why are you bleeding?”
She didn’t look at me. She didn’t take my handkerchief. Instead, she said, “Isn’t it beautiful?”
I was shocked. I looked around, trying to see what she did. She poked me in the ribs with her bony index finger and then pointed to the sky.
“What?” I asked, looking up. “The stars?”
She nodded, then said, “Tonight’s one of the brightest nights ever.”
“What’s so special about a bunch of lights in the sky?”
She was silent. After a moment, she quietly said, “To see something so…so pure, so uncorrupted…it makes me want to live.”
I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say. How do you respond to that kind of comment?
In a barely audible whisper, she added, “One day, I’m going to fly and touch the stars.”
And then I noticed it…the light in her eyes.
I sat with her for a while, neither of us talking, both looking at the dark night sky. The short time with her made me think. Her words stuck in my mind through school the next day. Walking home, I wanted to talk to her again. But she wasn’t there.
I went home confused. And then I knew why she wasn’t there.
“Earlier today,” the news anchor reported, “the body of an eighteen year old girl was found in an alley. The murderer is suspected to be her father, who has a record of violence and abuse…”
I didn’t want to listen anymore. I stared at the TV screen where her picture was shown. She was nothing like how I saw her on the street. She was happy and full of life in the picture. When I met her, when I saw her, she seemed…dead. But it was her. There was the same look in her eyes…the same light.
I walked into my room and dumped my backpack on the floor, dragging my feet, making my way towards my bed.
I tossed and turned, but I couldn’t sleep. I gave up and got up. The house was silent. The clock said it was almost 1am.
I walked outside, barefoot, and looked at the stars. They were brighter than the night before. There was a different kind of shine. There was…life.
She really did change me. I look at life…differently now. I cherish it. No, I didn’t love her. No, I wasn’t her friend. We were both strangers. But that brief time with her…it's something I was lucky to have.


1 Comments:
wow sarah O_O
I love this.
Why did it ended so soon.
lmao
Post a Comment
<< Home