23 November 2008

someone i know

Its been a while. Hello.

This oneshot I co-wrote it with my cousin one day when we were on a random picnic (I think, anyways). I'm not sure why I have a tendency to write reflective fiction. Its probably because I think too hard. Meh. Hope you like it.


Someone I Know

a oneshot by oskies & sana

I walked up and down the aisles, browsing through the endless amounts of food, my younger sister trailing silently behind me in the brightly lit, Clorox smelling grocery store.

“Hello, Junsu.”

I looked up from the colorful boxes of dry noodles.

“Hello…Jaejoong.”

“It’s been a while, huh?” Jaejoong asked, scratching a spot behind his ear in embarrassment. “How have you been?”

“Same as before,” I replied. “You?”

“Good.”

The conversation was awkward and strained. Not like before. Never like before.

“Jaejoong!”

He looked towards the front of the store, where an elderly lady stood leaning against an almost empty grocery cart.

“I’m coming!” Jaejoong shouted towards the woman. “I’m sorry, Junsu, but I have to go. It was nice seeing you again! We should get together some time!”

“Yes,” I nodded. “We should.”

“Goodbye!” he shouted as he ran towards the woman.

“Bye,” I waved back. There was silence as I watched him disappear around the corner.

“Junsu.”

I jumped at the voice. I turned around and faced my little sister.

“Yes?” I asked, both my eyebrows rising.

She hesitated, debating something. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the myriad of noodle boxes to my right.

Finally, she said, “How do you know Jaejoong? He’s the most popular guy in school, and, well, you’re…not.”

What she said made me stop. Of course, my fourteen-year-old sister would know who’s popular and who’s not at my high school.

“He’s just…”

I stopped, trying to find the right words. I thought back, remembering what happened between Jaejoong and me all those years ago.

We were friends. Almost inseparable back then. We did everything together. I don’t know what happened to us. We just…grew apart.

I guess it started in middle school. We were in the same class, but for some reason, we started to split. Our personalities changed. He made tons of new friends. He was handsome, smart, and outgoing. He was a leader. Admired. I was…everything he wasn’t. I got average grades, didn’t bother with myself, and preferred talking to myself than others. The only thing I was good at was writing. So I wrote.

We still talked. We still hung out. But then, we talked less frequently, until we just…stopped.

It wasn’t only his fault. But it wasn’t only my fault. We both did it…by not trying harder to stay together. By not trying harder to keep our friendship strong.

Finally, I managed to mutter, “…someone I know.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home